Monday, June 13, 2011

From Mauritius Island to London Town!


The luggage Surprise
I got quite a good deal with air Mauritius and personally i think we should buy local but i thought hmmm that's a bit cheeky;
On Friday i was so pleased with myself, i packed like a real star. Not too many clothes, just 3 pair of shoes, ok 4, yeah yeah 5 pair. Very impressed with myself. Organized one suitcase with clothes and goodies for my friends ( tea and Phoenix fresh, they love it!) and another one with shoes and a few other bits and bobs. Then my hand luggage with my documents and a book Anyone finding something strange there? Great if you don't ( you're with me then) and if you do, well, great (God you're twisted man!)
Anyway, i arrive at the airport, still a bit half asleep i go straight to check in my luggage.
Lovely woman at the counter ( yeah sometimes it seems like they blame you for being there so early ) put my super flashy pink suitcases on the weight, i tied two big ribbons to each of them and admittedly it looks quite bad, i almost don't wanna say they are mine but at Heathrow i will easily find them between thousands of other luggage. Anyway, the click clacks of her nails on the keyboards and her frowning her eyebrows did not quite reassure me. If they have glasses at least i can check in the reflection what they are on about. '' Sorry miss you are not allowed to check two suitcases in'' What????? I'm gobsmacked! '' Yeah it's written here on your e-ticket, 1pc'' Fuck it's true actually it's there 1 pc!!! '' this is a new thing'', she adds, with the sweetest voice . I could be mean and say, oh i thought it meant 1 laptop. No choice there, i have to pay to check the other one in! Altogether it was like 19 kg for both of them. I think it's quite cheeky, i mean i don't want to compare but on other lines as long as you don't exceed 23 kg it doesn't matter if you check one or two. As per the hand bag fair enough but here again, on some companies you can have your handbag and your laptop case which kind of make sense as we are in 2011!
Well it's my fault as i should have carefully checked that, instead of assuming that things don't change.

In The Plane
God 12 hours, that's a lot! I've got my special technique, i read a book, 2 hours, watch a movie, 90 mins average, take a little nap 3 mins! I know, both maths and logic are great there.12 hours sitting there, I've got quite long legs and these seats ain't good for me. The guy sitting next to me is quite sweet but most of the time i try to avoid engaging the conversation in the first 10 hours, yeah imagine i start and it end up in a freaking non stop jukebox, you are there stuck in a plane in the end, not cool! But it was quite cool talking to him in the end.
I think it's the first time i fly day time and the view as we arrive up north is breath taking. I have to go back on the web to try and find out what i saw. ''If you look to your right, you will have a nice view of Athens'' adds the captain. God that look so cool, then Italy, Alpes, Paris and here you are ooooh i missed you so much; United Kingdom. As we fly above London i hear two guys talking behind me '' this is this and this is that'' Funny though, they are British and they got it wrong one or two times, but hey how can you go wrong between London bridge and Chelsea bridge, Shame on you guys!

Immigration
The one thing I've learned is get off the plane and go straight to the immigration as fast as you can. No stop in the toilet or faffing about. Walk straight there. And duck i was right. The queue is UNBELIEVABLE! There is more than a thousand people there. Apparently there was 4 flight delays. After 12 hours flight all you want is to queue up for an hour! There's always a strange vibe there. Sometimes you can read what's on people's mind. As from today 13th June 2011, we ( Mauritians ) have to apply for a visa to enter the UK, just like when you are traveling to Australia. Which is kind of pain in the butt. It was kind of handy to be able to visit the UK without all this shenanigans. Anyway, after about 90 mins waiting for my turn, here i am collecting my flashy pink suitcase and heading towards the exit. My feet are not touching the ground. I love this moment, you have three thousand butterflies flying in your solar plexus, your breath is warm, eyes go a bit wet and the smile is frozen on your face. Here he is... after 5 months apart, here he is standing straight in his super stylish slim jeans and his favorite preen jacket! He is frowning and looking at his watch and lifts his head up and sees me... I love this moment...

1 comment: